Hello everyone, Today I have this crochet skirt with suspenders free pattern for you. I have played with this pattern a little bit. so you will find two slightly different versions of the pattern bellow. If you didn’t check my previous baby girl patterns you can check them HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE. and now lets move directly to the pattern.
Pin in for later:
The material you will need for this skirt with suspenders pattern:
Disclaimer: This blog post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee drinking habit if you use these links to make a purchase. You will not be charged extra, and you’ll keep me supplied in caffeine. It’s a win for everyone, really.
- For the mint and light yellow version you are going to need.
- 2-4 skeisns(according to the size you are going to make) of Alize Cotton Baby cream color 50% cotton 50% acrylic. and one ball of this color WINTER SKY
- You can also use any sport weight cotton acrylic blend yarn.
- You will also need Elastic thread
- Hook: 4mm
- For the beige and pink version you are going to need
- 2-6 skeins (according to the size you are going to make) of EKO bomull beige and 1 ball of EKO bomull pink or any DK, LightWorsted 100% cotton yarn of your choice.
- Hook: 3.5 mm
- And 2 buttons of your choice
- Stitch markers, sewing needle and matching thread, yarn needle to weave in ends. Here is a set with one of my favorite hooks sets along with stitch markers and needles
This pattern is written for size 0-3 month and changes for 3-6 months , 6-12, 12-18, 18-24 months are in parentheses.
Gauge: 10 cm square= 18 stitches * 13 rows (1 hdc row and 1 sc row)
I did this pattern with measurements so that you can do it with whatever yarn you want and get the right size.Yet, I included gauge if you want to achieve the exact same look.
Skill level: Beginner
Abbreviations and Glossary (US Terms):
Chain (ch), single crochet (sc), half double crochet, (hdc), slip stitch (ss),
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- dc – double crochet
- Front post dc
- Back post dc
Front post dc
Yarn over. From the front of the work, insert the hook from right to left. Yarn over and pull a loop so that you have three loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through two loops, then yarn over and pull through the last two loops Another way to think about it is you are inserting your hook from front to back, then back to the front and working the stitch as normal.
Back post dc
Yarn over, then from the
back of the work, insert the hook from right to left around the post of the next stitch. Yarn over and pull a loop through so that you have three loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through two loops, , then yarn over and pull throught the last two loops. Another way to think about it is you are you are inserting your hook from back to front, then to the back and complete the stitch as normal.
- The pattern is written with us terms.
- The Skirt is worked from top and ends at the bottom and the suspenders are worked separately.
- The suspenders are measured so that the skirt sets on the waist not the hips and the skirt will be knee length or a little bit above the knee based on your baby’s measurements
Chain a 48 CM (50.5,50.5,53.5,56) chain, join to the first stitch (make sure not to twist the chain)
Round 1: hdc in each chain around
To create a ribbing effect at the waist band we will work 3 rows of Front Post & Back Post hdc (see the special stitches section above)
Round 2-4: ch2 work *one front post dc and one Back post hdc*. repeat** till the end of the round, slip stitch to the first stitch (not the chain 2 space)
We will start to work one sc round and one hdc round but first reverse the round direction so that the right side of the stitch facing you will be the inside of the skirt and the other side of the stitch is the on the outside.
we will not slip stitch at the end of rounds we will continue working alternating between sc and hdc each round so its a good idea to put a stitch marker to mark the end of each round and the beginning of the new one.
Round 5. *2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches.* Repeat from * to * to the end of the round.
Round 6. Hdc in each stitch around
Round 7. Sc in each stitch around
Repeat Round 6-7 till the length of the skirt without the waist band reaches 16 cm (16,17,18.5,20) or your desired length.
Attach the second color (pink/mint) and work 2 hdc in each stitch around cut yarn and weave in ends
Suspenders: Do two of them
With the second color (mint/pink) Chain a 38 cm(42,45,48,50)
Row 1. Work sc in each chain.
Row 2. Sc in the very first stitch and all the remaining stitches
Row 3. Sc in each stitch till you reach the last 6 stitches chain 3 skip the next 3 sc and work 1 sc in each of the last three stitches
Row 4. Sc in the first three stitches 3 sc in the chain three space and sc in each stitch around
Row 5 Sc in each stitch around.
Check this tutorial to get straight edges by the amazing Sewrella.
- Sew the ends without the button hole of each strap together.
- Then sew them to the center of the back of the skirt, from the inside.
- Sew the buttons to the waist band.
- For the mint and pale yellow version insert the Elastic thread with a yarn needle in through the waist band.
- For the beige and pink version make a crochet chain (using double strands and a 4mm) hook that is bigger than the waist measurements with 15-20 cm and insert it through the waist band and tie it in bow.
I hope you liked this pattern. If you made one, share it with me on Instagram. I would love to see how you adapted it and what variations you made 🙂
Take care and happy crocheting.